If you don’t have medium membership, read this: https://liverungrow.medium.com/turning-25-1d7d5f8e25bf?sk=7a4edd3684829322d74c23bd8abae574
Earlier this week, I celebrated my 25th birthday.
When I was younger, perhaps 5 or 6, I thought that turning 10 was a big deal. It marked the transition from single to double digits in my age. It also meant that I had two more years left to graduate from my primary school, which I was actually quite happy about.
I would spend the next ten years doing a lot of studying (overwhelmed by the Singapore education system) and reading (historical fiction books). In retrospect, my teenage years were pretty stressful and tiring. I wonder how I managed to wake up at 6am every morning and attend school from 7.30am to sometimes as late as 6pm.
Then, fast forward to 2018 — the next milestone arrived. On the day of my birthday, I found myself reflecting on the fact that even though I had officially entered my twenties, deep inside, I still felt no different from when I was a teenager. In so many ways, I was still just as reliant as I have been since young, on my family both financially and perhaps even emotionally.
In a blink of an eye, another five years have flashed past and I am now officially in my mid-twenties.
My twenties have been stressful, although on the other hand, I also got to have more time to do more things that I enjoy. To sum up my “achievements”:
- Got my driver’s licence (2019)
- Lived abroad for 6 months in China without my family (2019) and experienced many first-times like renting a room, living with university school mates, first internship experience, foreign student at Peking university, travelling to different places in China (Tianjin天津, Harbin哈尔滨, Qiandaohu 千岛湖, Qin huang dao 秦皇岛, Beijing 北京)
- Spent the last 3 semesters of university attending zoom classes at home (2020–2021) and accidentally falling asleep at my desk during 12pm lectures.
- Started my Medium account and started writing about random topics (2020)
- Graduated from university at the height of the Covid virus (2021)
- Got my first full time job offer as a software engineer (2021) after a few crying episodes and countless…